After a divorce, it is likely that one spouse will have difficulty being able to replicate the income that they gained as part of the marriage. This may be because they do not work, and spent most of their time caring for their children during the marriage.

In these situations, the courts try to ensure that spousal support is awarded to the spouse who earns less. This spouse is usually awarded support for a limited amount of time, and it is expected that during this time, the spouse will gain employment or skills so that they are able to fully support themselves in the future.

As a former spouse who has been ordered to pay spousal support, you may think that this is unfair, and you may wonder if you can have the order modified. The following are situations in which you may be obligated to continue paying spousal support.

When your ex-spouse moves in with their new partner

If your ex-spouse lives together with their new partner, it’s likely that they will be sharing their incomes. However, under the law, you may still have the obligation to provide support.

When your ex-spouse remarries

Many people automatically assume that spousal support will stop when an ex-spouse remarries. While this may be the case, it is not guaranteed. If your ex-spouse does not agree to their support stopping, and if it can be shown that there is still a financial need, the support may only be reduced.

It is important that you take action to modify a spousal support order if you think that it is unfair. The law is complex, and there may be opportunities to adjust your obligations.