If you have gone through a divorce as a parent in the state of California, it is likely that you now have a child custody order, and consequentially, a child support order in place. The child support order will have been made in order to ensure that both parents are contributing toward giving their child the best possible quality of life based on their incomes.

If you are the custodial parent and are currently receiving child support payments from the other parent, this payment will have been determined based upon the other parent’s income at the time the order was made. If you believe that the other parent should be paying more, it is important that you take the time to understand how the law works in the state of California so that you know what you can do to improve your situation.

How is income assessed?

If the other parent has a high income, it is likely that they are subject to stock options, restricted stock units and bonuses. This should all be taken into account when their income is assessed, but often these factors are overlooked.

When can I request a modification of child support?

You can request a modification if you have a reason to believe that there has been a change in circumstances, such as if the other parent’s income has increased.

What action should I take?

It is important that you take action by firstly investigating whether a child support modification is possible regarding your situation in the state of California. An attorney can provide more information on your legal options.